Skip to content
Skip to main menu
- Are sturdy railings or banisters securely placed along each stairway?
- Are stairs, halls, and exits free of clutter?
- Are throw rugs eliminated or fastened down?
- Are electrical cords in good condition?
- Are nightlights placed in the bedroom-bathroom area and in the halls? Wiring should not be frayed or stripped. Do not run electrical wire under carpet. Keep telephone wires away from walkways.
- Is furniture arranged to allow free movement in heavy traffic areas?
- Are often-used items stored in spaces that are easy to reach?
- Are panhandles turned toward the back of the stove when in use?
- Are potholders used, not apron corners and dish towels, when cooking?
- Are grease and liquids wiped up immediately after spilled?
- Are cleaning fluids, polishes, bleaches, detergents and all poisons stored separately and clearly marked?
- Are grab bars installed in the bathtub and shower and at the toilet?
- Are non-slip rubber mats placed in bathtub and shower?
- Is water temperature checked with hand before showering or bathing?
- Is a first-aid kit available at all times?
- Are medicines clearly labeled and placed where the person knows where they are?
- Is a lamp or other light located within easy reach of the bedside?
- Are hazardous tools and firearms kept locked up?